Thursday, February 28, 2013

Restore


Brethren, If any person is overtaken in misconduct or sin of any sort, you who are spiritual [who are responsive to and controlled by the Spirit] should set him right and restore and reinstate him, without any sense of superiority and with all gentleness, keeping an active eye on yourself, lest you should be tempted also.  Galatians 6:1

I have studied this verse several time recently.  Most of that study encompassed how as a Christian, we are called to help other Christians be restored to the Father through repentance.  Also how this is something most Christians avoid or make fodder for their own sin- gossip.

It wasn’t until God began revealing the aspect of pride I’m entangled in did the last part of this verse make sense to me.  At first I thought I would be in danger of sinning in the same manner as the one I’m trying to set right and restore. 

In the Amplified translation, it helps to see what sin we’re tempted by – superiority – how I am so above you, I can judge you.  Also, if a person is restored to God, I am tempted to steal the glory from God for their repentance, as if I have the power to cause someone to repent.

If I am to help a fellow Christian restore their relationship to God, I must:
  • Examine my own heart – do I need restored in the same manner?  It is easy to see my sin in others.
  • Be convicted that I am the tool the Holy Spirit wants to use.  Realizing I am a tool means I am humble to God – submissive to His will – motivated out of love for Him and for those He loves.  This attitude guards against the pride of superiority.
  • Come along side of them to be the tool.  Be thankful that I am used in this way.  I encourage and help them feed on God’s word, sticking by until a change takes place.
  • Allow God to do the work in His time.  I can’t force it, get frustrated over something I can see is so simple.  That again is my pride kicking in and leaking over to superiority.

Going forth in counseling, I will have to cling to this verse to encourage and convict me, lest I should be tempted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think, please share in the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...