Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Fruit of Repentance

Bear fruits that are deserving and consistent with [your] repentance [that is,conduct worthy of a heart changed, a heart abhorring sin]. Luke 3:8a

John the Baptist declares that repentance – true – bears fruit.  Life doesn’t go on as normal, there is a change to the new normal.

And the multitudes asked him, Then what shall we do?  And he replied to them, He who has two tunics (undergarments), let him share with him who has none; and he who has food, let him do it the same way. Luke 3: 10-11

John Baptist answers what the fruit should look like: to share what you have with someone who has not. 

In studying this passage, it is evident that repentance has fruit – some action that shows a change of heart.  It isn’t just the absence of sin.  The fruit is an outward/other people action.  It shows I put my faith in action and love those who God loves.  I let go of my greed and hording, release things to those in need.

I asked God to reveal to me what the fruit of my repentance should look like.  To whom do I need to share what I have?  What do I need to let go of?  What am I’m keeping to provide for myself instead of trusting God to provide?

As I write, Go weighed jeans on my heart.  Simple yes, but nothing is insignificant with God.  My body shape has changed with the healthy issues I’ve had.  (Meaning less aerobics = thicker waist).  I have several jeans that no longer fit (can you say muffin top?).  I need to let the jeans go.  They will be put in the donate box as soon as I get up from here.  Thank you Lord for showing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think, please share in the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...