Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Testimony


My church asked for us to write our testimony.  Keep it short.  Well that's hard for me to do, although I didn't go into a lot of details.  I thought I should post my message here as well.  
I am one of eight children - my dad's youngest, my mother's 3rd to youngest.  I spent time being the youngest, middle and oldest child at home.  I did not grow up in the church.  Up to the time I was nine, I only attended VBS.  At nine, my cousin took me to with her to church.  The church she attended the last time they lived in the area had moved to just two blocks from our home.  In fact, it was where my bus stop was.  Over the next few years, I was able to attend regularly.
We moved away for the school year.  The next summer we moved back and I went to church camp with that church.  During this week, I learned about Jesus and asked Him into my heart.  It was the first time I remember His peace washing over me. 
When we settled in our new home, a neighbor invited me to her church that lived by a lot of rules.  I learned all the things I shouldn’t do to be a true Christian.  This caused me to pull away from God, since I messed up a lot.  As an adult, I attended church sometimes, but felt I needed to cleanup my act and stop sinning before I could draw close to God. 
In my mid-twenties, my brother committed suicide.  God was the only place I had to turn.  He helped me get through.  Unfortunately, the weight of my guilt stopped me from seeking Him.  I did faithfully pray everyday, usually for Him to change my circumstances.  
Fast-forward a few years, D and I were married.  We agreed not to have children.  Yet God had a bigger, better plan.  He sent K just a few months after our marriage.  I knew I wanted to raise her in the church and give her all the love and care I did not receive as a child. 
In June 2007, I submitted my life to God.  I was convicted to know Him better.  At the time, Bible study was boring.  How could I do it everyday?  Through bringing more mature Christians into my life and preparation of my heart within a year, I was doing daily study – almost.  Within two years I was in BSF.  In the fall of 2009, church had a baptism Sunday.  My heart pounded yet again when people were baptized.  When my pastor turned to us and gave reasons to be truly baptized, I could only say yes.  D felt the same.
It’s been a wonderful marriage to see how we went from a self-centered lifestyle to a God-centered one.  To not only see the transformation of my own life, but that of my life-mate.  To see the wonderful heart God is creating in my daughter.
For me, I went from a rude, impatient, angry person to a kind, calm and patient (most of the time) person.  I don’t even look the same.  I went from a size 20W to a size 8.  I praise God for saving me from myself.  

 God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think, please share in the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...