Friday, March 2, 2012

Patience


Patience is one of those fruits of the spirit we all long for, yet don’t pray for because we don’t want to endure the disciple that goes with the training.

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful.  Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.  Hebrews 12:11

This is one of my favorite verses, so applicable to life.

What harvest comes developing patience?  In my life, many things.  For one, I am humble.  I don’t lose patience when dealing with others and jump to frustration or anger over how I’m being treated.  I accept that no matter how they behave, I am secure in who I am in Jesus.  I deserve worse than what I’m enduring, yet whatever happens it isn’t important in light of eternity.  Read and meditate on the Sermon on the Mount and see if your attitude isn’t changed.

Patience enables me to persevere.  I read the comments on the For Better or For Worse Dec. 4, 2011 comic.  I loved how she said her mother had endless patience so that she completed and got done what needed done.  How would my life change, what could I learn if I kept going and didn’t give up?  All those things I wish I could do could be a reality if I started the process with the intention to have the patience to see it through.

As you can see, patience is one of those foundational fruit of the spirit upon which others can grow.  In patience I can show kindness, gentleness (I’m not in a hurry to get it done), love, faithfulness, and goodness.  And through patience I get to joy, peace and self-control. 

I am able to encourage other by my patience.  I set an example for my daughter to follow.  I am tempered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think, please share in the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...