Thursday, August 2, 2012

It's harmless...

Like a scarecrow in a melon patch, their idols cannot speak; they must be carried because they cannot walk.  Do not fear them; they can do no harm nor can they do any good.  Jeremiah 10:5

I stopped in my tracts reading this passage.  That last line: "they can do no harm nor can they do any good.

Whoa...no harm, no good?  How much does this world say "that's harmless."  That's one of the mantras of this world.  Convince everyone that everything is harmless, nothing to think over.  Harmless, it won't hurt.  

Yet bring that with "nor can they do any good."  If it's so harmless, why keep it if it's not good.  God is good.  We should strive to have good in our lives.  I don't have room for harmless.  It is an opening for Satan to get to me.  

It's harmless, I hear, to eat a sweet treat from time to time.  Oh, for me, no good will come from it, for it may trigger an eating binge like no other.

It's harmless to watch that tv program.  But what message is it sending my daughter or me on what is right and good in the world?  Does it spark judgment of others in me?  Enter impure thoughts?  What good comes from that harmless show?  

And internet pages?  Is is harmless or is there good coming from it?  Pinterest is all the craze right now?  Is is harmless?  Is it good for people to spend hours on end pinning and coveting what other have?  It's the attitude to be wary of.

Speaking of attitudes.  It's harmless that I may get upset while driving?  Harmless that I lose my temper?  Oh, no good comes from that, no matter how temperate I am in the rest of my life.  

Satan will take any foothold you give him.  Don't allow harmless to be the entry point.  No good will come from it.

editing to add:
Life Principle: Idols are not harmless, they need to be gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think, please share in the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...