Monday, July 16, 2012

Confession of a glutton

14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.  Romans 7:14-20




This passage from Romans 7 came to mind recently.  I pray that God's will to be done in my life.  I thought I was obedient to what He asked me to do - pertaining to not eating sweets.  I can give you a list of reasons on how I am obedient to this calling.  However, I am neglecting the habitual sin of gluttony that I deal with.  I want to be done with this sin, yet I pick it up over and over.  I look forward to the day when I am done with it.  Perhaps today is that day.  Only God knows.  


I have gained weight over the past few months.  I'm up a few pounds.  In normal circumstances, most wouldn't fret over a few pounds, but for me, it is a sign that I'm not paying attention to the sin in my life.  After some investigation I have found:


  • I stopped drinking all my needed water.  Although replaced mainly with unsweet decaf tea or coffee, it still isn't water.  My UT isn't happy about it either. 
  • I switched to my summer breakfast of raisin bran (replaced oats).  Based on how much I ate, I added over 200 calories to my day.  The reasoning that it's high in fiber just doesn't cancel excess calories and I was oblivious.
  • Since I'm not eating sweets, I upped my simple carb intake.  Remove the bread, pasta and crackers from my reach.
  • I skipped adding veggies to our menu.  Went for some sort of potato instead (carbs??).
  • I let my workouts to go far and few between.  With the drought and heat wave this summer, my normal outside summer workouts (aka yard work) is non-existent.


So when I explored all this, I remembered the above verses.  I thought how I don't want to compromise.  I want to be in God's will.  Before I'm in God's will until it conflicts with the easy way out, or the second helping of food or reading a book.


So, I'll share over the next few post how God has lead me on this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think, please share in the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...