Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Oh, crumbs!

What to do with all the leftover heals of bread?  Although D doesn't care to eat them, I don't.  And K hates crust, therefore hates heals.  For many years I tossed these into the trash.  Then one day I had a empty bread crumb container and the rest is history.


I stash the heals into the freezer.  When I have no space for anything else in my freezer because of all the pieces of bread, I make bread crumbs.  


To do this, I set the pieces of bread on the counter to thaw slightly and preheat the oven to 250.  I cover a baking sheet with a single layer of bread.  I don't keep perfect time, since it is really dependent on how moist the bread is.  I usually flip the bread every 10 minutes until it is toasted.


Next I get my food process and spices out.  I usually make equal plain bread crumbs and Italian bread crumbs.  Plain is simple, just put a few pieces of toast in the processor and turn on until fully crumbled.  When there's chunks of bread, pulse the blade often works.










For Italian, I add in Italian seasoning and garlic powders.  I usually toss it in, but would say for each batch I put in a 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder and a teaspoon of Italian seasoning.








I use bread crumbs for meatloaf and chicken Parmesan.  Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think, please share in the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...