Thursday, February 16, 2012

Please, I need a new attitude


Oh, boy, I had a horrible attitude yesterday morning.  I say at first I didn’t know where it came from, but after a while, God gently pointed to where it was.  I lost my cool the night before.  I spoke to a CR at a store.  I didn’t like the flack that they taught him to give customers.  I wasn’t as rude as I could have been in the past, yet I wasn’t nice or gentle, either.  I had a problem on the account and I expected this person to fix it.  I didn’t even stop to consider whether he could. 

So when I got off the phone, my husband didn’t listen to me complain.  He tended to my daughter, so I felt a little let down that I couldn’t dump all this on him.  It just wasn’t the time, nor was I in the right attitude.

I worked out a little of my “hurt” feelings in prayer that night.  I thought I was OK.  Yet the next morning, I just didn’t have a good attitude.  It wasn’t a morning to stay home and work it out, I had service I agreed to do.  Fortunately, I didn’t dump this attitude on my daughter, as I’ve been known to do in the past.  I got her off to school then submerged myself in prayer.  As the night before, I tried to focus my prayer on the others I would serve or be in contact with over the next few hours.

Right before going in, I asked God to do the work for me.  I knew I wasn’t in the right frame of mind.  I knew I still struggled to give my full attention and listen, yet that is what I needed to do.  I knew it would only get done if I allowed Him full control and get it done.

Please don’t be surprised that He did show up and did His work through me.  I thanked Him for how well it went.  Then He gives me a principle after my service was done.  That as a Christian, I am called to “reset” worldly thinking to a Holy Spirit filled/lead life.

Wow, this is the first time I experienced the revelation after the answered prayer.  It goes back to God often prepares my heart to receive the message He has for me.  I know I would not have got this message had I not had the bad attitude.

You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.  Ephesians 4:22-24

This passage was preached on while I watched TV and walked on my treadmill.  When I was sick a while back, I started to watch more TV, other than what I normally watched (HGTV or GMC).  I began watching a reality TV show about weight loss as well.  Some of the words, the underlining message and attitude of guest on show (talk show) began creeping into my life.  At times I felt God ping me that it wasn’t good to watch.  I sometimes changed the channel or turned off the TV.  I sometimes said, ‘oh that scene is past, I’m ok.’  God would also weigh on me that this isn’t what He ordered for my day when I asked Him to arrange it so I would get His work done.

The program I watched furthered God’s message to me on resetting my thoughts.  I need to put off my old self, I need to take ever thought captive.  I have a new attitude. 

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.  2 Corinthians 10:5

He showed me that these programs were corrupting my thinking.  Even in small ways.  I was allowing Satan a foothold into my mind.  Satan used programs that pleased my old self.  Things I enjoyed when I was self focused. 

I’m thankful for this message.  I praise Him for answering my prayers.  I thank Him for sanctifying me, for making me new.  I will not allow anything to set itself against the knowledge of God.  For it is the only truth.  Everything else if foolishness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think, please share in the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...