Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Memory verses

I will admit, I'm not so great with memory verses.  It goes back to the all or nothing approach.  It put my rules on it.  I insist I can't move on to the next verse unless I can recite the verse, even after some time.  Just like the need for daily Bible study kept presenting itself to me, so is memorizing God's word.  Since God is convicting me of my time on TV as well as internet, I had to finally fess up that if I spent as much time learning verses as I did on watching TV, I may just have chance!

I'm easing up on the requirements of memory verse.  I'll take the approach of my daughter, who often learns three verses in one week.  
1.  Say the verse at each meal time.  
2.  Start Bible study with the verse.
3.  Randomly go over the verse. 

To start this process anew, I will begin with:

16Be joyful always, 17pray continually; 18give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.  1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 

I love this passage for many reasons (besides the obvious that it's God's word.)  Verses 16 and 17 are two words long and impactful.  Along with the start of verse 18, I get God's perspective, my attitude should reflect this, because - last part of 18- it is God's will for me in Christ Jesus.  How many times do we want to know God's will?  This verse plainly states it! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi AJ...what a great blog! I loved this post as I'm also trying to do better in this area. I could definately stand to watch a little less TV.

    I look forward to getting to know you better through your blog...I'm now a follower.

    Blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think, please share in the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...