Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Journey to Christ Part 1

It's been something hanging over my head.  Something is off, I just can't figure it out.  I knew there was more.  I really enjoyed doing an additional Bible study to really dig into Luke.  I was prayerful and waited for God to reveal Himself.  What needed to change.

And he replied, You must love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself. Luke 10:27

In writing out this verse for my study time, the Holy Spirit revealed that is a four fold process to love God.  I looked up each word. 
  • heart - inner, essential part 
  • soul - essential part, spiritual part of man 
  • strength - power, vigor -- physical muscles
  • mind - the intellect 
How was I doing in each of these areas and how could I improve overall - for to love God, for it is the first command to uphold - always.  I meditated on this often and I thought of God, for in my mind that is how I love Him.

There is need of only one or but a few things. Mary has chosen the good portion [that which is to her advantage], which shall not be taken away from her. Luke 10:42


Then there was the story of Mary and Martha in Luke in the same chapter.  I thought of a woman I had the privileged of knowing just a few years of her life. My husband's grandmother. This woman never owned a dryer and would drag her clean clothes out of her basement, across the yard, to the clothes line - all year long - until her last year of her life (87 yo).

She is what would be consider fanatical about Jesus. As I grow closer to Him, I appreciate her love of Jesus all the more. It was important to her that her grandchildren and their mates know and love Jesus. After she had a stroke and was on her last year - she spoke her mind - she spoke of how good Jesus was - no matter what the conversation was going on around her.  Her example reminds me of Mary - choosing the better portion. To be so in love with Jesus that when my mind is not my own, it is on Him.  I wondered when do I allow my circumstances to distract me from sitting at the feet of Jesus?  Even with that question in my mind, I didn't fully grasp what it meant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think, please share in the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...