Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Busybody


2 Thessalonians 3:11 We hear that some among you are idle. They are not busy; they are busybodies.


This verse stuck out to me.  Is this something in my life that I need to be aware of?  Am I idle?  Not busy?  Busybody?

Not busy?  Well at times I can look busy, but am I really?

I looked up the meaning of busybodies in Strongs:

4020   //  periergazomai  //  periergazomai   //  per-ee-er-gad'-zom-ahee  // 

from   4012  and   2038  ; v

AV - be a busybody 1; 1

1) to bustle about uselessly, to busy one's self about trifling,
needless, useless matters
1a) used apparently of a person officiously inquisitive about
other's affairs

I loved this reference.  It is someone who goes here and there, moving things around perhaps, yet is not busy.  Could this be someone who plays on their phone to look important?  Check Facebook status and replies?  Run to get texted messages?  Flips through the channels to find the next show to watch?  Eager to see the next “Real” TV?  Shopping for the next great thing? 

I posted before about wasting time.  Now this is the label to go with it.  Yes, I have been a busybody in my life.  I know I wasted my time.  I know I didn’t get accomplished the tasks I needed done because I peddled my time away with worthless activities that wasn’t more than trash.

It is a warning to me.  It is a reminder of yet another thing to be on guard for.  To allow God to fill my time, not Facebook.  This is why I don’t have texting on my phone (never have.)  This is why I limit my time on meaningless surfing and Facebook. 

What do I do when I find busybody activities invading my life?  Be aware!  Listen to the Holy Spirit nudging of how I’m spending my time.  And if that doesn’t work, I do what I do to K (my daughter) when she gets obsessive about something, I discipline myself to do without. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think, please share in the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...