Wednesday, October 9, 2013

1 Peter 1:13-16 Obedience

 So brace up your minds; be sober (circumspect, morally alert); set your hope wholly and unchangeably on the grace (divine favor) that is coming to you when Jesus Christ (the Messiah) is revealed.  [Live] as children of obedience [to God]; do not conform yourselves to the evil desires [that governed you] in your former ignorance [when you did not know the requirements of the Gospel].  But as the One Who called you is holy, you yourselves also be holy in all your conduct and manner of living.
For it is written, You shall be holy, for I am holy. 1 Peter 1:13-16

I am to prepare my mind - think over circumstances and the consequences.  NIV says 'prepare your minds for actions and be self-controlled.'

* Think on how each circumstance effects eternity.  How will I react?  Will my selfish impatience aid the circumstance (the answer is always NO!)  What might I say or do that would bring about eternal blessings?  I want to learn how to bring Jesus into my conversation and actions more.  Lord - please show me!

* Focus my hope - my thoughts - on the grace of Jesus.  I am to be obedient to what the Holy Spirit has taught me since I accepted and believed the Gospel.  I am to strive to be holy as Jesus is Holy.  Where am I lacking obedience?  What has the Holy Spirit convicted me of (not me choosing) and I'm not obeying immediately? 

* Through obedience to Christ  can i be holy as Christ.  Obedience brings wisdom.  Many people struggle to find the will of God for their lives.  The are confused of what to do.  Perhaps even claiming that the Bible doesn't speak to their situations.  If that's you, try obedience in the smaller things and see if the bigger things become clearer.  Honor your parents.  Love your neighbor.  Give generously.  Be patient.  Be willing to do your part.  I love the song "While I'm waiting" by John Waller.  We can still be obedient in the small things while allowing God to work out some "big" things.  Obedience in the small things brings wisdom, opens our eyes to what God is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think, please share in the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...