Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Retrench

“Can we retrench? Does it occur to you that there is any on article in which we can retrench?” and They must retrench; that did not admit of a doubt. – Jane Austen

Anne Elliot is often thought of as dull insipid character.  I think she is patient, kind and secure.  She is confident in her own that it does not bother her so much when others slight her.  Even being close to her love, she becomes vibrant, just like me when I am close to my Lord.

But this isn’t about Anne, this is about the need to retrench.  This is self imposed, not because of a direct need.  I do feel that I spent a little to much last month do to lack of planning, however, we’re still financially sound. 

Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 1 Peter 4:10

No this is more about a need to constrain myself to what is truly needed.  To be a better steward of God’s provisions.  We have some goals we want to meet and won’t get there if we keep making those little extras that add up.  I’d like to tackle our mortgage (our only debt), plan a family trip and do a slight remodel on my bedroom (I hope to post that later this year).  I also want to be more generous to others in need.

These goals won’t be met unless I cut back.  Since I spend most of our discretionary funds, it’s up to me to retrench.

I’ll be posting about ways I retrench.  The obvious ways will include:
cook at home, less processed foods
use my creative skills to make things rather than buy
use coupons, sales ads and price comparison list when shopping

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think, please share in the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...