Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Monkey Muffins

Ever wonder what to do with old bananas?  I toss mine (that haven't been neglected to long) into the freezer.  There they wait to be made into something yummy.  Below is one way.

Monkey Muffins
Original recipe came from High Five Magazine my daughter used to get.  We have lots of fun making these, or at least until the smashed banana gross her out.  I've changed it slightly.

3 bananas
2 c whole wheat flour
1 ts baking soda
1/2 c shortening (I use butter crisco)
1 c sugar
2 large eggs
1 ts salt
1 ts vanilla
1/2 c sour cream
1/2 c water (or so)


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Thaw bananas slightly if from freezer.  Smash into small pieces.  I use a pastry blender for this job.
  3. Mix together shortening and sugar. Beat until creamy. Add eggs, the mashed bananas, salt, and vanilla. Mix well.
  4. Add the flour, soda and mix.  
  5. Add sour cream. Mix well.  Add water to thin batter to a sour cream consistency.
  6. Fill the muffin cups 1/2 full. Bake for 15-18 minutes for regular muffins.  Fill 3/4 of mini muffin cup and bake for 12-14 minutes.



My family prefers mini muffins over regular size.  If you do use white flour, omit the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think, please share in the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...